Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Bridgetown: not known for it's bridges



Saying that, they do have a pretty impressive bridge. Longest wooden one or some other claim to fame.

I ended up spending the final night of my Southwest trip in Bridgetown. Actually, I was meant to be back in Perth that night but I'd only started to relax on my short holiday that I felt I needed to extend it and also do some more exploring.

I asked at the Walpole visitors centre if they knew of any pet-friendly accommodation between Walpole and Perth. The lady said she recalled seeing an advert or sign for somewhere in Bridgetown that accepted pets. She gave me the town brochure (freshly published that week) and I was fortunate to find the place in there.


I searched for other bridges, but alas found none. The ladies in the visitors centre ignored me (huge contrast to those lovely ladies at Kojonup who sold me scones and had free hot drinks. No wonder they win awards!), so I headed to this park to let the dog have a run. I found a mural on the wall of the public amenities which explained that Bridgetown is in fact the town that bridges the towns of Manjimup, and somewhere else.

As you can see from the floating bin, the river here was very high. There were some interesting folks in the carpark taking their ducks for a walk.


But Bridgetown got better. I located my cabin at the Farmstay a good 25km from town. Picturesque countryside. The owners weren't home, but I was greeted by their dog and my name on the cabin door. When they drove into the property, the dog promptly took off back home, knowing it wasn't supposed to pester the visitors.

The homestead was beautiful, surrounded by stunning gardens for me to explore and lots of flowers I couldn't identify



0 comments: