Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Sad but true

Ok, so even my weather nut friends will think this is sad, but yes, I visit weather stations in my spare time! The white box has the thermometers in them (often automatic ones), and the cylinder is a rain gauge. Some sites have co-operative observers that read the instruments once or more per day.

Rottness Island: sited on a hill opposite the hill the lighthouse is on (not fun to ride up, I tell you!)



Cape Leeuwin - the most SW point of Australia, where the Indian and Southern Oceans meet (also near the lighthouse). Automatic rain gauge.


Manual rain gauge at Hamelin Pool and disused screen. The gauge is actually on top of a sand dune which I was surprised about because there are specific rules about siting these. Turns out that the old one was washed away in a flood last year, so they had to put the new one on higher ground!



1 comments:

Jayne said...

Well, it's good to know where these readings come from and how they're collected.