Thursday, June 26, 2008

Quaintness


When I was travelling in Tassie a few years back, I had the idea of publishing a coffee table book of photos of old churches around Tas or Vic. I seem to really like old church buildings. I think they have a lot of character and manage to survive the modernisation of towns.

After travelling around England, Ireland and Europe, I think I was over churches for a while. Especially because those we have over here hardly compare to the grandure, scale and age of churches and cathedrals over there.

In Broome, the churches are interesting because they are built like no others. They have their own architectural style (or possibly no style, as in the Cathedral mentioned in the last post).

Pictured here is the Anglican church which I fell in love with when I first saw it. It is just so quaint! It was built in 1903, at a cost of 600 pounds, in what is now called "Federation Carpenter Gothic" style.

The Heritage assessment (it is listed) describes it as follows:
"with its masonry stumps separating the building's envelope from the ground, extensive use of French doors for ventilation, and steeply pitched roof, is representative of architecture built in
the early 1900s in response to the tropical climate."

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness there is some evidence left of this type of architecture. Even in Melbourne you still see little old churches dwarfed by the tower blocks around them. I hope they are always protected buildings even if there usage changes.