Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Quaint Anglican Church part 2

I went back to the cute little Anglican Church, which I previously posted about, for a service. This meant I got to see inside! I wish I could have taken pictures, but I didn't think that would have been appropriate!

From the inside, what I thought was an extension, looks like an original part of the church, but according to the website they replaced the exterior cladding with colourbond. The altar area is divided from the seating by a stunning ornate carved railing (see pic from minister's site-->). There are plaques on the walls in memory of members who perished in the 1908 cyclone.

It actually feels smaller than it looks from the outside. The french doors still open outwards to allow air through, but they could have done with the fans on too! (Being the peak time in tourist season, the congregation had bloomed from the usual 30 to over 60 people, hence it was stuffy!)

I spoke to the minister's wife about the building and she said they'd had to jump through all sorts of hoops to get the wheelchair ramp put up the side because of the heritage listing.
In this pic you can see said ramp and also the doors/windows which open out. Without the ramp (ie on the other side of the church) there is a 1.5m drop from within the church to the ground. I was really surprised that there were no gates or barriers to stop kids falling/jumping out. You wouldn't want to fall asleep and fall sideways out of your pew if sitting by one of the open doors!

0 comments: